Saturday, October 4, 2008

Maine's Electoral Votes May Be Split; Note to 2nd Dist. Dems: Volunteer


Thanks to a Lewiston Sun Journal article today, I am reminded that though Maine may well go Blue in the presidential race, only Maine and Nebraska are allowed to split their electoral votes according to district. Two of our four will go to the winner and there's never been any real doubt that, barring epic disaster, Obama will take those two. The other two are can be awarded according to the votes in each of our two congressional districts.

The Sun Journal's Rebekah Metzler writes that as of Thursday [the day McCain decided to bail in Michigan] resources are available to solidify McCain voters in places like our Second District. So, I am appealing to my Second District friends, please give some time, take a pizza, make some phone calls or knock on some neighbors' doors for the local Dem office and/or the Obama office.

n.b.: I was contacted tonight at 8:15 by the Obama campaign in Farmington, a Western Maine town a solid 65 miles away from my little coastal plain hamlet. Some young whippersnapper called and asked me to volunteer. I told him I was already giving two to six hours per week at the Lincoln County office. Nonplussed, he suggested I call the Waterville, yes Virginia Waterville, office to get my marching orders. When I suggested that Brunswick was much closer, he didn't have the phone number. Hmmmmm.

Also when I told him he had awakened my son, young Obama operative "Ian" never so much as said, "I'm sorry." When I politely suggested that 8:15 in the evening was too late to be calling people in rural Maine, again I got crickets.

So when I suggest, my Northern Tier friends, that you volunteer for Obama, I mean it. They need some people with a few Maine-centric people skills in those offices as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance. Let's keep that fourth electoral vote for Barack Obama.

Contact your town or county committee and someone should be able to direct you to some work that needs doing. Penobscot County Dems; Maine County Committees;

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I'm so glad to hear your reassurances that we'll definitely get those 2 District 1 votes...I've been a little (a lot) horrified by all the McCain/Palin signs on front yards.

KayInMaine said...

I'm inclined to believe the missing Obama/Biden signs are the result of the dying republic party members stealing them. See? This is how this party operates. They can't win on their morals & values, because we would all die laughing & pointing at them, so they take the time in the middle of the night to steal the Democrat's sign hoping to wipe this amazing Obama guy out of the minds of the wingnuts who are tired of their own party!

Hysterical.

Gobama! Woohoo!